The Armoury Chamber, a treasure house, is a part of the Grand Kremlin Palace's complex. It is situated in the building constructed in 1851 by the famous architect Konstantin Ton. The museum collections were based on the precious items that had been preserved for centuries in the tsars' treasury and the Patriarch’s vestry. Some of the exhibits were made in the Kremlin workshops, others were accepted as ambassadorial gifts. The museum was named after one of the oldest Kremlin's treasury.
The Armoury Chamber preserves ancient State regalia, ceremonial royal garment and coronation dresses, vestments of the Russian Orthodox Church Hierarchs, the largest collection of gold- and silverware made by Russian craftsmen, West European artistic silver, ceremonial arms and armour, carriages and horse ceremonial harness.
The State Armoury presents more than four thousands items of applied art made in Russia, European and Eastern countries in the 4th to early 20th century. The highest artistic level and particular historical and cultural value of the exhibits have made the State Armoury of the Moscow Kremlin a world-wide known museum.