The Annunciation Cathedral—one of the oldest monuments rich of the works of art of the Moscow Kremlin is situated on the Borovitsky Hill edge, on the southern side of the Cathedral Square.
The temple was erected in 1484-1489, during the time of reign of the Sovereign of All Russia Ivan III. The Assumption Cathedral has got particular importance in the history of Russian art of building, because it was constructed by the Pskov architects, according to the chronicle, while most of the new residence’s buildings were erected by Italian architects. The appearance of the cathedral combines features peculiar to both Moscow and Pskov architectural traditions.
In 1489, when construction works were complete, the cathedral was consecrated in honour of the Annunciation Day, devoted to the happy announcement by the Archangel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary that she was going to give birth to the son of God.
The exposition 'Treasures and Antiquities of the Moscow Kremlin' comprises monuments and artefacts found during the archeological excavations and scientific researches in the Moscow Kremlin territory, as well as those related to the history of the development of the Russian Tsars' treasure houses, or derived from the collections and treasures of the Russian noble people, high ranking officials and ancient monasteries. The exhibition is of high historical and artistic value through the quantity of the presented masterpieces of the 12th–17th centuries. The museum is placed in the basement of the Annunciation Cathedral, where the Grand Princes' and Tsars' treasury had been kept many centuries ago.