The Moscow Kremlin Museums offer guided tours in Russian and with a translator of yours. Please read some information on our museums, so you could choose the tour according to your preferences.

The tours present general information about the architectural ensemble of the Kremlin, the treasures of the world-famous Armoury Chamber, ancient Kremlin's cathedrals and their historical burial places, ensembles of wall-painting, collections of Old-Russian icons and the Museum of Russian Culture of the 17th century in the halls of the Patriarch's Palace.

 We offer you a brief description of each monument in the Moscow Kremlin territory to help you to learn more about the subject of the guided tours.

 

TERRITORY OF THE MOSCOW KREMLIN

The centre of the Moscow Kremlin is occupied by the main and most ancient square of the city - Cathedral Square, which still retains its original form - a unique complex of masterpieces of medieval architecture. Found in the early 14th century, the Cathedral Square saw the construction, destruction and rebuilding of churches and chambers, witnessed all the perturbations within the history of the Russian State. Nowadays, the architectural ensemble of the Cathedral Square consists of the Assumption Cathedral, Archangel Cathedral, Annunciation Cathedral, the Church of Laying Our Lady's Holy Robe, the Patriarch's Palace, the Faceted Chamber, Golden Tsarina's Chamber, churches of the Terem Palace and the 'Ivan the Great' Bell Tower complex.

 
ARMOURY CHAMBER

The Armoury Chamber, a treasure house, is a part of the Grand Kremlin Palace's complex. Its collection incorporates more than four thousands items of applied art of Russia, European and Eastern countries of the 4th-early 20th century. The highest artistic level and particular historical and cultural value of the exhibits made the State Armoury a world-wide known museum.

more / reduce
 
ASSUMPTION CATHEDRAL

The Assumption Cathedral was built in 1474-1479 by Italian architect Aristotle Fioravanti as the main Russian cathedral. The most significant ceremonies took place in the main cathedral of the State: coronations of tsars and emperors, inaugurations of hierarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church.

 
ARCHANGEL CATHEDRAL

The Archangel Cathedral was built in 1505-1508 by Italian architect Aleviz Novy on the place of a small white-stone cathedral of the 14th century. The cathedral is devoted to the Archangel Michael, the protector of soldiers and rulers in their feats of arms. For many centuries it served as a dynastic necropolis of the Moscow great princes and tsars. Great Princes Ivan Kalita, Dmitry Donskoy, Ivan III, Ivan the Terrible, Tsarevich Dmitry, Tsars Mikhail and Alexey Romanov were buried there. There are 47 tombstones and two reliquaries in the dynastic necropolis. The cathedral's pillars and walls are covered with portraits of Moscow sovereigns and their glorious ancestors.

 
ANNUNCIATION CATHEDRAL

The Annunciation Cathedral, built in 1485-1489 by Russian masters, was a private chapel of the great princes and Moscow tsars. It was a part of a palace complex. Its north-western gallery was the palace's front entrance. The ensemble of monumental painting of the cathedral of Ivan the Terrible's epoch and the ancient iconostasis are of great value. Many of the researches consider the icons of the Deisis to be painted by the famous icon-painter Theophanes the Greek and a part of the icons of the Festive row to be created by the greatest Russian medieval icon-painter Andrei Rublev. 

 
CHURCH OF LAYING OUT LADY'S HOLY ROBE

The delicate one-dome church was built in 1484-1485 by Russian masters as a private chapel or Russian Metropolitans and Patriarchs. Its iconostasis and wall-paintings form a magnificent architectural ensemble. There is a permanent exhibition of Russian wooden sculpture in its gallery.

 
PATRIARCH'S PALACE

The Patriarch's Palace is one of the best monuments of Moscow mid-17th century civil architecture. The Palace was erected in 1653-1655 by Russian masters on Patriarch Nikon's order on the place of ancient constructions of the Metropolitan's and later Patriarch's residence in the Moscow Kremlin. Nowadays, the Cross Chamber, the Front Anteroom, the refectory and the Twelve Apostles' Church house the exposition exploring the history and peculiarities of the Russian culture through the 17th century.

 

Guided tours prices

For information on booking guided tours for organised groups please address:

  • Excursion office in the Alexander garden (Alexandrovsky Sad, Kremlin, Moscow, Russia).
    Open daily:  900 to 1700 from 15 May to 30 September; 930 to 1630 from 1 October to 14 May.
    Tel: +7 (495) 695-41-46, +7 (495) 697-03-49.

Pre-orders of guided tours in foreign languages are available via travel agencies.

Excursion office on the map 

up