Map of Russia. Milestones in history

  • Construction plate from the Saviour`s Tower

    Moscow, 1491.
    Architect Pietro Antonio Solari.
    White stone; colouring, adzing, carving

  • Easter egg commemorating tercentenary of the House of Romanov

    Russia, Saint-Petersburg, 1913.
    Faberge Firm, craftsman: H. Wigström, painter: V. Zuyev.
    Gold, silver, brilliants, rose-cut diamonds, purpurin, steel, turquoise, rock crystal, ivory, glass; casting, enamel, watercolours, chasing, engraving, guilloche, blueing, painting, gilding.
    Presented by Emperor Nicholas II to Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna for Easter 1913.

  • Map of the Russian Empire

    The Moscow college of the Order of St. Catherine, 1872.
    Wool; embroidery

  • "Map of Russia, generally called Muscovy, its Northern and Eastern parts"

    The States-General of Holland, 1650.
    Prepared by  Isaac Massa.
    Paper; engraving, watercolours

  • "Banner of the Cossack leader Yermak Timofeyevich"

    Russia, the late XVIIth century (?).
    Canvas; weaving, applique work, painting

  • Badge of the Order of White Eagle

    Saint-Petersburg, 1856.
    Gold; guilloche, punching, casting, engraving, enamel.
    Belonged to Empress Maria Alexandrovna

  • Chain of the "Grand Attire"

    Moscow, the Kremlin workshops, 1613–1626.
    Gold; chasing, carving, engraving, chiselling, riveting

  • Crown of Kazan

    Moscow, mid XVIth century, the Moscow Kremlin workshops (?).
    Gold, precious stones, pearls, fur.
    Embossing, casting, engraving, niello, filigree

  • Dish

    Moscow, 1561, the Moscow Kremlin workshops.
    Gold; smithery, embossing, niello.
    Presented by Tsar Ivan IV to his wife - Tsarina Maria Temryukovna in 1561.

  • Drinking vessel (Charka)

    Moscow, Grand Princes' workshop, 1515.
    Gold, pearls; smithery, embossing, flat chasing, carving, niello, enamel

  • Easter egg with a model of the Trans-Siberian express

    Russia, Saint-Petersburg, 1900.
    Faberge firm, craftsman: M. Perkhin.
    Gold, platinum, silver, precious stones, silk, onyx, crystal, velvet, wood; casting, enamel, engraving, filigree, granulation, guilloche, embossing.
    Presented by Emperor Nicholas II to Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna for Easter 1900.

  • Helmet - "Jericho cap"

    Turkey, the XVIth century.
    Damask steel, precious stone, turquoise, fabric, white metal; forging, embossing, damascening with gold, carving.
    Belonged to Prince Fyodor Mstislavsky

  • Key of the city of Riga

    The Baltic states, 1710.
    Craftsman: Johann George Eben.
    Gold; casting, carving, niello.
    Was presented to the General Field marshal Boris Petrovich Sheremetev by the magistrate of the city of Riga in 1710 soon after the Swedish garrison had capitulated.

  • Maps of Muscovy and Tatar land

    Map of Muscovy prepared by British diplomat and merchant Anthony Jenkinson during his first expedition to Russia and Bukhara (1557–1560). Etching was incorporated into by Abraham Ortelius' atlas Theatrum orbis terrarum (Antverpiae, 1572) (?).
    Paper; printing, etching, watercolours

  • Saadak cover

    Moscow, the XVIIth century.
    Fabric, pearls, gold and silk threads; weaving, embroidery

  • Sabre and scabbard with belt

    Iran, first half of the XVIIth century.
    Gold, silver, steel, wood, turquoise, jasper; forging, carving, repoussé, niello, inlay, damascening with gold, enamel.
    Was granted by Prince Yakov Kudenetovich Cherkassky to Tsar Alexis Mikhailovich in 1646.

  • Shestopyor (six-feathered flanged mace)

    Turkey, Istanbul, mid XVIIth century.
    Gold, wood, fabric interwoven with threads of gold, almandine, emeralds, rubies; carving, embossing, enamelling.
    Presented by the Constantinople merchant Dmitry Astafiev to Tsar Alexis Mikhailovich in 1655. Was brought to Jassy by Prince G.A. Potemkin during the Russo–Turkish War in 1790-1791.

  • Snuffbox with miniature portrait of Empress Catherine II

    Saint-Petersburg, 1780.
    Artist Jean Pierre Ador, miniature painter Carl Geijer.
    Gold, glass, ivory; carving, enamel, watercolours, gouache

  • Watch with portrait of Emperor Nocholas I

    France, PAris, first half of the XIXth century.
    Craftsman Robin.
    Belonged to Prince A. Baryatinsky.
    Glass, gold, base metal; painted enamel, punching, engraving, guilloche

  • Watercolour "Nicholas II and Alexandra Fyodorovna greeted by the people on the occasion of the coronation of 1896"

    Finland, 1896.
    Painter Albert Edelfelt.
    Cardboard; watercolours, whitewash, drawing ink, gouache, gold, gilt and silver

EXHIBITS

December, 8,2014 – March, 15, 2015

Exhibition hall of the Assumption Belfry

Organized by:
Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation, the Moscow Kremlin Museums

Карты Московии и

The Moscow Kremlin Museums hosts a historical exhibition to reveal the phenomenon of Russia as the largest state in the world, which has been preserving its status since the late XVIIth century. The exposition incorporates remarkable masterpieces of the XIVth—early XXth centuries, which are to present the history of the development of Russia, full of dramatic events, wars, dynastic and political collisions, outstanding achievements in various fields.

The key exhibit at the exposition is a unique masterpiece — the map of the Russian Empire, embroidered by students of the Moscow college of the Order of St. Catherine in 1872 and presented to Emperor Alexander II. The period of Emperor Alexander II is distinguished by the expansion of the Russian Empire through the territories of Central Asia, the Caucasus and Far East. The map reveals the delicate workmanship of embroideresses as well as a monumental grandeur of the Russian state, the borders of which have extended to its maximum by 1867. It was exposed in Moscow only once and has never been on loan to foreign museums.

The famous Crown of Kazan is also on display. This precious ceremonial headpiece, covered with dense niello pattern and gems, is believed to be commissioned by Tsar Ivan the Terrible in 1553 in order to celebrate the annexation of the Kazan Khanate after the capture of Kazan. Later on the image of the crown was included to a complicated composition of the National Emblem where it appeared along with other coats of arms as the arms of the realm of Kazan.

The oldest extant item at the exposition is the stone plate of 1491 inscribed with information on the construction of the Kremlin towers under Grand Prince Ivan III and his title of "sovereign of All Rus", which reflected the growing power of the Moscovite ruler, who claimed absolute authority in his realm. The artifact relates to an important period in the Russian history, characterized by the development of the idea of sovereignty which marked the transition of Russia from a principality to an emerging nation-state. Further expansion of Russia can be traced through geographical names of the lands, stated within titles of the Russian rules, for example, that of the Tsar Mikhail Fyodorovich on the golden chain, presented at the exposition, and the title of Emperor Nicholas II, which involved over fifty names.

Maps, representing the territory of Russia during several centuries, are worthy of particular note. Two of them came from the world's first geographical atlas, created by the Flemish cartographer Abraham Ortelius. The other one, compiled by diplomat and researcher Isaac Massa, presents the Northern part of Russia in the first half of the XVIIth century, including Obdoriya region in Siberia, which has been included to the list of lands stated within titles of the Russian sovereigns since the XVIth century. The growth of interest to cartography in the XVIIth century is revealed through outstanding artworks bearing various images of cities, maps of newly discovered lands. For example, one of the exposed items — the golden snuff-box — is decorated with a miniature portrait of Empress Catherine the Great holding a map in her hand.

Two Easter eggs, presented at the exposition, were produced by the famous Faberge firm. The one with a model of Trans-Siberian express inside is engraved with a map of the Russian state showing the Trans-Siberian Railway. The other one, commissioned to a renowned craftsman H. Wigström to commemorate the tercentenary of the Romanov House, contains a rotating globe with silhouettes of Russia of 1613 and 1913, demonstrating the extension of its boundaries throughout several centuries.

General partner of the project:

КНАУФ

Exhibition halls of the museum

Exhibition hall in the Assumption Belfry Exhibition hall of the Assunption Belfry