Two-seated coupe carriage
Master J.M. Hoppenhauft Beech.
Velvet, glass, bronze, silver, iron; wood carving, gilding on gesso, oil painting.
Length 5,5 m; height 2 m; width 2,5 m.
Present from King Frederick II to Empress Elisabeth Petrovna in 1746. In 1917, it was moved from Saint-Petersburg to Moscow at the exhibition in the Carriage Museum. In 1926, the carriage was brought to the Armoury from the Carriage Museum.
Four-seated berlin carriage
Saint-Petersburg, Workshops of Saint-Petersburg Stables Estate, 1769.
Master J.K. Buckendal Maple.
Velvet, glass, silver, iron; oil painting, gilding on gesso, wood carving.
Length 5,6 m; height 2,4 m; width 2,5 m.
Belonged to Empress Catherine II. Came from the Carriage Museum in 1926.
Two-seated kolymaga carriage
England, late XVI century. Wheels - Russia, XVII century (with the participation of I.Bezmin); velvet - Italy, XVII century; painting- Russia, second half of the XVII century.
Oak, velvet, metal; carving,oil painting, gilding.
Length 5,4 m; height 2,5 m; width 2,3 m.
Present from King James of England to Tsar Boris Godunov. Brought to Moscow by Thomas Smith in 1604 (?) Came from Moscow Kolymazhniy (Carriage) Court in 1834.
Moscow, Workshops of the Stables Office, 1640s. Velvet - Turkey, XVII century.
Oak, birch, velvet, tin, copper, mica, glass; wood carving, gilding, embroidery.
Length 5,5 m; height 2 m; width 2 m.
Belonged to a Bryansk senior Francisk Lesnovolskiy, later Boyar Nikita Ivanovich Romanov. Came from the Moscow Kolymazhniy (Carriage) Court in 1834.
Moscow, 1732. Painting - Saint-Petersburg, 1742; cloth - Russia, early XIXth century.
Master Jan Michelle Oak.
Birch, cloth; wood carving, oil painting, wood gilding.
Length 6 m; height 2 m; width 2 m.
Belonged first to Empress Anna Ioannovna, then to Empress Elisabeth Petrovna. Came from Saint-Petersburg to Moscow Carriage Court, in 1834 - to the Armoury Chamber.
Wood, velvet; oil painting, gilding on gesso, wood carving.
Length 3,1 m; height 1,5 m; width 1,4 m.
Belonged to Empress Anna Ioanovna.
Winter "amusement" sledge
Moscow Kremlin Stables Workshops, 1689-1692.
Wood, leather, taffeta, tin, copper, mice; embossing, gilding.
Length 1,5 m; height 1,2 m; width 0,72 m.
Belonged ot children of Tsar Ivan Alexeevich.
The collection of the rarest ancient carriages of Russian rulers is one of the main Moscow Kremlin Museums’ collections. It counts about 24 items and embraces wide chronological frames from the XVIth to the XVIIIth century.
Both Russian and foreign art critics consider the Kremlin’s collection of carriages, so unique and entire, to be world famous and to possess one of the leading places among the most eminent identical collections in the world. Like few other collections, it contains heavy and unwieldy carriages and closed sleighs of the XVIth-XVIIth centuries which are the oldest carriages survived till nowadays. Almost all the collection’s items are masterpieces of the world art and have no analogies. Unlike the major part of other countries’ collections the Kremlin's collection possesses a wide variety of types of carriages and demostrates the use of innovative achievements in carriage construction. It posesses nearly all the kinds and constructions of Russian and European carriages of the XVIth - XVIIIth centuries, such as heavy and unwieldy carriages, closed sleighs, so called “coupe” carriages, Berlin carriages, sedans, and carriages with a very large body. Such stylistic trends as late Renaissance, Baroque, Regency, Rococo and Classicism are reflected in the artworks.
The carriages were created in the largest European art centers - Moscow, Saint-Petersburg, London, Paris, Vienna and Berlin. Thus the development of the European carriage-making, with its specific technique and bright artistic system, can be traced within the Armoury Chamber collection. I.Bezmin, J.Hoppenhaupt, J.Buckendal, A.Drillerosse, Ph. Caffieri, S. Boutler, J. Linelle, N. Pineau, J. Michelle, F. Boucher are among the genius creators of these brilliant artworks, who contributed significantly to the development of carriage-making. Their names have gained immortality in the world history.
As the carriages of the Armoury Chamber are not only artistic but also historical monuments, they seem to relate the past of Russia, its contacts with other countries and the ways Russia gained international authority. The carriages were used in the official court everyday life. They were an essential part of royal processions, receptions of foreign ambassadors, royal hunting and other official state ceremonies, the organization of which was linked to the state politics, ideology and diplomacy.
A considerable part of carriages has a memorial character as they are connected to the names of famous Russian and foreign political figures, who left a significant mark in history. The collection was not formed at once. The artworks collection process, tightly linked to the history of the Moscow Kremlin, took several centuries.
- Russian state regalia
- Arms and armour
- Russian artworks of gold and silver
- Foreign artworks of gold and silver
- Ceremonial horse trappings
- Royal carriages
- Wooden sculpture
- Ceramics and glass
- Orders and medals
- Numismatics and Notaphily
- Oil paintings
- Manuscript and early printed books
- Architectural details
- Clocks and watches